Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reply from Eric Palmer

Gretel,

Thank you for your thoughtful email. I have received numerous comments
both pro and con on the Court's decision. Based on contacts, my district
is evenly split on the issue. I have encouraged everyone I've spoken to,
to read the Court's decision.
(http://www.judicial.state.ia.us/wfData/files/Varnum/07-1499.pdf) I have
also encouraged people to review the State and Federal Constitutions. I
believe the only way we can have a meaningful dialogue on the issue is
to review these materials.

After my own review of the Court's decision, I have to agree with them
that the statute was unconstitutional because it failed to provide all
citizens with equal protection under the law. Based on this analysis, I
do not plan to introduce or vote for an amendment to the Constitution.
This is an extremely emotional issue, but I do not believe that
fundamental civil rights can be put up to a vote of the people.

Regards,
Eric

PS - I'm glad you're planning to stay in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment