Friday, April 10, 2009

Letter to Rep. Eric Palmer

Representative Palmer;

I am a twenty-year old student at Grinnell College. I'm also a lesbian.
I am originally from Michigan, but ever since my first RAGBRAI almost
six years ago, I've been in love with Iowa. True, every February I curse
my decision to live in what has, at times, felt like an arctic tundra,
but every time spring rolls around I remember why I decided to come
here. This spring has been especially memorable. Last Friday, the Iowa
Supreme Court recognized that a ban on same-sex marriages in the state
of Iowa was unconstitutional. While it should be no surprise that Iowa
is recognizing human rights, we were the first state outside of the
eastern coast to lift this ban and allow people of the same sex in a
committed relationship to receive the same benefits as heterosexual couples.
I know that as a college student, I am under scrutiny for trying to sway
the democratic process in your district. But, unlike many other
students, I plan on living in Iowa as long as I can manage it. By voting
against a ban on gay marriage, you will encourage me and other educated,
productive, liberal-minded students to stay in Iowa long after we have
received our education.
Last Friday, I drove over an hour to attend the rally in Iowa City. To
date, it was the happiest day of my life. While I was there, I saw many
more well-adjusted, beautiful families than I have in a long time.
Unlike the hateful speech that seems to populate the ideas of the
religious right, the speakers talked about hope and Iowa's long-standing
legacy of pioneering in civil rights. While some people might see us as
freaks and perverse, the facts are that same-sex families are
beautifully boring and raise children that are just as likely to be gay
as children of straight parents.
I urge you to vote against a ban on gay marriage if not from your own
convictions of what is right or wrong but at least out of compassion and
understanding for the thousands of gay and lesbian individuals across
the state whose boring, everyday lives are filled with joy from simply
the knowledge that they will be treated fairly in the state of Iowa.

Gretel Carlson
Grinnell College

No comments:

Post a Comment