Sunday, April 26, 2009

Taking Women Seriously

This is a continuation of a conversation that I had on Friday with a friend. We discussed a group of common acquaintances who were all female and frequently kissed each other while drunk while asserting that it meant nothing.

I'm guilty of doing this. Once. I kissed my friend for the sexual gratification of a college guy who thought we were both attractive and wanted us to kiss. And I did because I was tipsy and at that point was doing anything I could for attention from guys. I almost immediately regretted it, but wrote it off because it was just making out with a girl. Whatever.

Whether it is a social construction or not, it is widely accepted that most womens' sexuality is more fluid than mens'. Women are deemed, because of this, more likely to, say, "randomly" make out with someone regardless of 1) whether they find a person of that gender representation attractive and 2) whether that person finds them attractive. I saw, and have seen, a lot of women kissing very openly gay men and I personally find this just as reprehensible as the two girls who make out with each other in front of a man in order to get attention from him. You see, kissing a gay man, who obviously has no attraction to a woman, is just dishonest. Because the girls that are kissing these men are straight. So, if the situation was changed and a straight man decided to kiss a gay man because he couldn't make it with the ladies that particular night, would it be an ok thing to do? The answer is probably not. Yes, there are straight men who are comfortable enough with their masculinity to throw a liplock on a dude, but very few who would go so far as to passionately kiss them.

As for women kissing women, I think it has less to do with cheap sexual gratification and more to do with a safe-place that exists between women that they can express some sexuality. As an armchair psychologist, this is probably bullshit. But it seems to me like women, in an attempt to be sexual without the danger/possibility of having to do more than they are comfortable with or willing to do in a particular night out, make out with each other because it is safe.

After I came out, I kind of noticed when my female friends (and I have a lot of them), who are pretty much across the board straight, would dance with me at a party. Was I being misrepresentative if I didn't dance with girls, or was my sexuality at all threatening to them? Did they feel like I was dancing in a group with them because I wanted to feel breasts, butts, thighs, etc. on me? It put me in a really hard spot and although I still dance with my friends, I'm not going to be party to the homoerotic stuff that goes down between a lot of straight women. I guess I'm worried that makes me a little homophobic. Am I not so comfortable with who I find attractive that I can't dance with women that I don't find attractive or say that I find their touch, while not erotic, at the very least, quite comforting?

I don't know. Until I can figure that out, I will dance by myself unless I can find someone who takes my sexuality as seriously as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment